When deciding on senior care services, it is important to look at all different factors to find the best match for your elderly loved one. Would getting in home care make more sense or would a nursing home be a better match?
Here is a cost comparison list of different senior care services available for your elderly loved one. The data is based on Genworth’s 2011 Cost of Care Survey. One advantage of home care over nursing home care is that in-home care is much cheaper.
In Home Care
Homemaker services: In home care provided by licensed homemaker services include senior care services such as assisting with cooking, light housekeeping, and running errands. The national median hourly rate is $18. Depending on your location and agency, cost can range from $9 to $34 per hour. Based on the median hourly rate of $18, the annual cost would be $41,184 for 44 hours of service per week.
- Home health aide services: In home care provided by licensed home health aide services include senior care services that are more “hands-on” personal care such as helping with bathing, personal hygiene, and dressing. The national median hourly rate is $19. The cost can range from $10 to $34 per hour depending on your location and the agency. The annual cost would be $43,472 for 44 hours of service per week based on the national median hourly rate.
Adult Day Health Care
- Unlike in home care, adult day health care provides senior care services outside of the elderly loved one’s home. The only similarity to in home care is that your loved one can still live in his or her home with out having to move to a facility. Adult day health care provides a variety of community based senior care services during the part of the day. The national median daily rate is $60. Depending on your location and the care center, the cost can range from $15 to $160 per day. The median annual rate is $15,600 based on 5 days of care per week.
Assisted Living Facility
- Receiving senior care services from an assisted living facility requires your elderly loved one to live outside of his or her home. Types of senior care services include personal care such as assisting with personal hygiene, meals, and basic medical care. The national median monthly cost of assisted living facility is $3,261. Depending on the location and the facility, the cost can range from $674 to $9500 per month. The median annual rate is $39,135 for 12 months of care.
- Nursing homes provide a full range of senior care services including 24-hour skilled nursing care. Like assisted living facilities, your elderly loved one will live outside of home.
- Semi-private room: The national median daily rate is $193. Depending on the location and the nursing home, the cost can range from $85 to $826 per day. The national median annual rate is $70,445 based on 365 days of care.
- Private room: The national median rate is $213 per day. Depending on the location and nursing home, the cost can range from $89 to $826 per day. The national median annual rate is $77,745 based on 365 days of care.
Need helping finding the best match for senior care services for your elderly loved one and your budget? Use our free service to get access to local specialists to help you find the best care for your loved one.